• determining project design, construction methods and materials
• preparing plans, designs and diagrams for construction work
• coordinating site activity including the delivery of plant and equipment
• monitoring and assessing the impact of changes to designs
• inspecting and supervising construction, maintenance and repair works
Skills required to be a civil engineer
- Good problem-solving skills
- The ability to work both as part of a team and alone
- Good communication skills
- An understanding of industry quality standards
Civil Engineers in rail have often worked as a Civil Engineering Draftsperson or come from a background in:
- resource sectors.
Meet the people
Dianne Banks is Head of Engineering, Civil and Structural Systems, at Yarra Trams.
She graduated with a degree in civil engineering and business administration and is now responsible for ensuring Melbourne's trams are safe and reliable.
You can read about Dianne's career here.